Monday, February 1, 2016

Duplicitous Pink

Pink is a duplicitous color. I tend to think of pink paint as being a mixture of white and red. That works unless you are doing traditional watercolors that only allows for the white of the paper. The first thought is that you can get pink from an unsaturated or watered-down red. ummmm... no... If you water down red and apply it lightly over the white paper, what you really get is pale red. That may work for some applications; but, when you paint flowers, you need a saturated pink. Sigh... My hopes for a limited watercolor palette have been foiled again.
Select pink and red Winsor & Newton watercolors.
I picked up Quinacridone Magenta, Rose Madder Genuine, and Opera Rose watercolors to fill out my need for pink. I am taking a watercolor journaling class from Jane Lafazio.  I'm not very far into the course, but I took some time to do some spring flowers -- they're supposed to be cherry blossoms. I guess all of the snow has made me long for spring.
Spring will come.
Pink is one of those colors that looks good on most people. I love pink but I don't tend to wear it. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's from being in a male-dominated career for so long. I don't make a lot of pink jewelry because it doesn't sell well for me. When I do break down and make something pink, it's usually in some bright version like magenta or fuchsia. I'm not much of a pastel person. I have made pink versions of my favorite earring design -- Swarovski cubes like the ones pictured below.

Fuchsia Swarovski crystal cubes.
I even caved and made the trendy Swarovski hearts for a while. They were fun to figure out. The directions I read were pretty confusing. Much easier to just figure them out on my own. That's what I did with the cubes too. Just played with beads until I understood the pattern.
Swarovski puffy heart.
Pink glass is usually very expensive when it's colored with gold salts. I've done some pendants that used pink glass; but, I seldom use it as the sole color. Pink jewelry doesn't seem to sell well for me. This pendant was made with Bullseye glass, Wasser glass, and enamels. Much to my surprise, this pendant sold almost immediately.
And..... sold....
My favorite pink pendant is shown below. I intended the dichroic strip to be somewhat offset. I made it after a rough patch and was feeling a little bit off-center. I thought that my pendant should reflect that.
Feeling a bit off.
One of my favorite color combinations is pink and lime green. Lime green is actually one of my infiltrative colors. Most of my glass somehow ends up with flecks of lime green. It's actually called "Spring Green" when it's manufactured by Bullseye. Colorline Paints (for glass) come in lime green. I haven't bought that shade yet, but I'm sure I will. I'm a sucker for glass. And, yes... I need to have every color that's manufactured...
Pink pendant with infiltrative lime green.


No comments:

Post a Comment