Thursday, June 1, 2017

Resplendent Red-Violet


Silk, wool, glass, metal pin
When I was a kid, red-violet was my favorite crayon color. So, why red-violet? I really don’t know. Crayola red-violet is resplendent color. It’s close to magenta but also has some added red. To me, straight up magenta is a bit harsh, It’s good as an accent; but, somewhat overwhelming as a principle color for an art piece. Not to mention, it doesn’t really match many sofas -- and you know that’s the criterion for selecting art.
Mixed-media experiment. Glass, plastic, acrylic.
When my hair was red-violet, I would get lots of positive comments almost everywhere I went, I think more people would wear red-violet; but, they’re just afraid of standing out that much, I, on the other hand, don’t care. That’s the joy of growing older. I do what I want (said with Cartman accent). Maybe more people would wear red-violet if it were combined with a dignified navy blue.
My proprietary polymer over wood with sterling, gemstones, and pigments.
Much to my joy, Bullseye glass makes a red-violet glass called plum striker. It starts out as a light lavender-blue but turns red-violet when heated. Of course, the perfect foil for this lovely color would be lime green. Well, probably not; but, lime green seems to make an appearance in almost everything I do. It’s the complementary color, after all. It is. It really is.
Crayons.
 Crayola also makes a violet-red crayon. It’s a great color, mind you; but, it’s no red-violet. Red-violet is the perfect color. As a child, it was so perfect a color that I rarely used it. It was just much admired in my crayon box. I wish I had known then just how inexpensive crayons really are. I probably would have used it more often. I guess that’s really a life lesson. In the end, things are really not as valuable as we make them out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment